The CHSS Undergraduate Advising Center has full-time professional advisers to assist all students in the School of Communication and Media. The center is located in Willingham Hall, Room 223, (470-578-7728). The advisers will help you plan your schedule and recommend a path to graduation in your chosen major. Keep in mind that once you are admitted to the School with your declared major, you typically will have at least three semesters of upper-division course work ahead.
If you have not yet met the criteria to be admitted to the School, please identify your planned major by declaring as an "Interest" student:
- Journalism and Emerging Media-Interest
- Media and Entertainment-Interest
- Organizational and Professional Communication-Interest
- Public Relations-Interest
Note: The Communication-Interest designation is going away, so please change your designation soon.
If you need/want to discuss possible careers or graduate school, our SOCM faculty are available to guide you.
Message from the Director of SOCM to all students taking lower-division courses who plan to apply to a SOCM major:
If you don’t pass one of the COM lower-division courses in two attempts and you wish to try a third time, please follow the steps below.
1. To register for a COM class for a third time, you must first email the school director (firstname.lastname@example.org) with specific reasons why you think you can be successful in a third attempt. Special permission must be granted for you to register.
2. If approval is granted, you will only be allowed to register to retake the course in the summer or register during the drop/add period of the fall or spring semester.
3. Students who can't pass a lower-division course after the third attempt will be encouraged to consider another major.
4. Chronic "repeaters" will not receive priority for seats in lower-division courses.
Because our majors are in high demand, students in our lower-division courses are encouraged to make their academic program a priority. It is important to successfully complete the lower-division required courses in a timely manner so that you can move forward into your chosen major.
Remember that the adjusted GPA requirement is 2.75 for the five COM lower-division classes. You also must make a 78 or higher on the Entrance Exam (only three attempts allowed). After you have met these requirements of our gated program, fill out and send in the online application for a SOCM major.
Declaring your Major
Once you have completed all 5 Lower Division (SOCM) Area F courses with a 2.75 GPA or higher and passed the Entrance Exam with a score of 70% or higher (78 or higher after August 11, 2017), you must submit the Undergraduate Program Admission Application (see below) to be admitted into a SOCM major.
SOCM Undergraduate Entrance Exam
If you have completed COM 2135 – Writing for Public Communication, you are ready to take the SOCM Entrance Exam, an online grammar competency test, through the KSU Testing Center (on both campuses). http://testing.kennesaw.edu/students/tests-offered.php. (see Entrance Exam Information below)
COM 2135 Fall DROP-IN SESSIONS
Thursday, August 23, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Friday, August 31, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Tuesday, Sept. 4, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Wednesday, Sept. 12, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Thursday, Sept. 20, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Friday, Sept. 28, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2 – 3 p.m. SO 3033
Monday, Oct. 8, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Tuesday, Oct. 16, 12:30 – 1:45 p.m. SO 3033
Tuesday, Oct. 23, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Friday, Oct. 26, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033 - CANCELLED
Monday, Oct. 29, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Thursday, Nov. 1, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Monday, Nov. 5, 2 – 3 p.m. SO 3033
Tuesday, Nov. 13, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Tuesday, Nov. 27, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033
Friday, Nov. 30, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. SO 3033