The School of Communication & Media at Kennesaw State University prepares its graduates to be effective, life-long communicators, pro-active leaders, and scholarly practitioners who create, design, deliver, and interpret the meaning of messages in interpersonal, organizational, and societal contexts. Our graduates will be prepared to actively contribute to the continuously evolving local and global communities while adapting to the constantly changing technological environment.
The School of Communication & Media has developed and will continue to adapt a curriculum that prepares students for entry into the highly competitive, ever-changing communication professions. At the same time, the department remains vigilant of its obligation to create conscientious and committed professionals and citizens.
The School emphasizes the study of applied, theoretical and aesthetic dimensions of the communication process in culturally diverse settings, even as it supports the Institutional Mission of Kennesaw State University and the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
It has established these primary goals as part of its mission:
- To promote the skills and knowledge students will need for lifelong learning and to gain admissions to the communication profession
- To foster knowledge of systematic methods of inquiry and critical thinking
- To provide guidance about careers in communication and the advisability of lifelong learning
- To create and maintain a learning environment that fosters a partnership between student and faculty where a free and open exchange of ideas is encouraged and rewarded
- To create an environment that supports the aspirations of faculty and staff by providing the time and resources to pursue scholarship, services and excellence in teaching
The general learning outcomes for our majors, based on the knowledge, skills and attitudes for the average graduate, are:
- Creative thinking, problem-solving, decision-making
- Critical thinking
- Message design: Oral, written, theoretical, applied
- Understanding basic social science research design
- Understanding basic communication theories
- Ethical sensitivity
- Diversity, knowledge and appreciation of multiple perspectives