The Master of Public Administration
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) is a professional degree that prepares persons interested in public service for administrative and leadership positions in governmental agencies and nonprofit organizations. The program’s student and teaching oriented faculty seek to contribute to the development of professional individuals with an ethos of democratic administration by providing them with a combination of solid academic learning and concrete practical experiences. The MPA Program is located in the School of Government and International Affairs. The Program works in cooperation with a number of other departments as well as the A. L. Burruss Institute of Public Service that provides community services and technical assistance to nonprofit and public organizations in Georgia.
The Master of Public Administration Program is formally accredited by National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA).
The Master of Public Administration Program (MPA) is a professional degree program that prepares students for careers in public service.
- Prepare graduates of the program to think critically and creatively about public issues, have the dedication and capacity to serve a diverse community, and possess the skills to enter a professional position in a public organization.
- Provide a rigorous core curriculum that examines the theoretical underpinnings of public service and provides concentrated areas of study in governmental administration, nonprofit administration and information management.
- Inspire commitment to public service values.
- Sustain a welcoming environment that promotes equity and diversity, empowering students and faculty.
Public Service Values:
- Public Service Value 1: Public Service professionals emphasize integrity, accountability, honesty, fairness and ethical behavior in personal and professional relationships and activities.
- Public Service Value 2: Public service professionals should reflect the highest ideals of citizenship and service to the community and develop professionalism by emphasizing competence, excellence, efficiency, objectivity, and impartiality to their community, the nation, and the world.
- Public Service Value 3: Public service professionals exhibit democratic values, respect for the Constitution and the rule of law.
- Public Service Value 4: Public Service professionals commit themselves to equity and diversity by recognizing that their exercise of authority and responsibility must always be tempered by a respect for human dignity, fairness, and social equity.