The College of Humanities and Social Sciences has a history all its own. Below are some of the historical highlights that our College has experienced over the years.
- Kennesaw Junior College is founded.
- Kennesaw Junior College opens its doors.
- Division of Humanities and Division of Social Sciences created; forming two of the three Academic Divisions.
- Kennesaw Junior College renamed Kennesaw College.
- Kennesaw College reorganizes academic structure. Divisions are replaced with more formal system of Schools and Departments.
- The School of Arts and Behavioral Sciences is created with George H. Beggs serving as the first Dean.
- Departments are created for English, History, Liberal Studies, Music, Political Science, and Psychology.
- Department of Music renamed the Department of Music and Performing Arts.
- Department of Political Science renamed the Department of Political Science and Sociology.
- Department of Visual Arts created.
- Kennesaw College renamed Kennesaw State College.
- Department of Communication created.
- Department of Liberal Studies dissolved.
- Department of Foreign Languages created.
- Department of History renamed the Department of History and Philosophy.
- Department of Political Science and Sociology renamed the Department of Political Science and International Affairs.
- Department of Public Administration and Human Services created.
- School of Arts and Behavioral Sciences renamed School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
- Lois E. Muir becomes Dean
- Donald W. Forester becomes Dean
- Kennesaw State College renamed Kennesaw State University.
- School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences renamed College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
- Department of Music and Performing Arts splits; creating the Department of Music and the Department of Theater.
- College offers its first graduate program. The Master of Arts in Professional Writing.
- Linda M. Noble becomes Dean
- College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences splits; creating the School of the Arts and the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Department of Music, Department of Theater, and Department of Visual Arts are moved to the new School of the Arts.
- Department of Sociology, Geography, and Anthropology created.
- Department of Public Administration and Human Services splits. Public Administration is merged into the Department of Political Science and International Affairs and Human Services is moved to the newly created College of Health and Human Services.
- Department of Sociology, Geography, and Anthropology becomes the Department of Sociology, Geography, Anthropology, and Criminal Justice.
- Helen S. Ridley becomes Dean
- Richard Vengroff becomes Dean
- Department of Sociology, Geography, Anthropology, and Criminal Justice splits; creating the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice and the Department of Geography and Anthropology.
- Cultural and Regional Studies created by organizing various CHSS interdisciplinary programs under one unit housed in the Office of the Dean.
- College offers its first doctoral program. The Doctor of Philosophy in International Conflict Management.
- Department of Interdisciplinary Studies created out of former Cultural and Regional Studies group.
- Robin Dorff becomes Dean
- Department of Digital Writing and Media Arts created from consolidation of Kennesaw State University and Southern Polytechnic State University.
- Department of Communication becomes the School of Communication and Media
- School of Conflict Management, Peacebuilding and Development created.
- Department of Digital Writing and Media Arts becomes the Department of Technical Communication and Interactive Design.
- Department of Political Science and International Affairs becomes the School of Government and International Affairs.
- Department of Psychology becomes the Department of Psychological Science.