- The CHSS Undergraduate Advising Center is available particularly for students who are not yet declared majors. Others may also use the Center located in Willingham Hall room 223 (470-578-7728).
- Faculty advisers have been assigned to students who are declared majors. If you have questions, please contact your assigned adviser VIA EMAIL (remember to reference your KSU# in all correspondence) to make an appointment for advising or to discuss career and graduate-school options. (Seeing faculty advisers before registration is not a requirement at KSU.)
- To maximize your appointment time with your SOCM faculty advisor, please bring the
following to each advising appointment:
- An unofficial copy of your transcript found on Owl Express
- A completed copy of the Checklist for your chosen major and General Education
- A listing of planned courses for the next semester
Please remember that all COM-Interest, Journalism & Emerging Media-Interest, and PR-Interest students are expected to take COM 2020 as part of your lower-division required SOCM courses; COM 1100 will count toward your General Education requirements only. For new majors, we will not substitute a Gen Ed course for a lower-division requirement.
Message from the Director of SOCM to all students taking lower-division courses who plan to apply to a SOCM major:
If you don’t pass one of the COM lower-division courses in two attempts and you wish to try a third time, please follow the steps below.
1. To register for a COM class for a third time, you must first email the school director (firstname.lastname@example.org) with specific reasons why you think you can be successful in a third attempt. Special permission must be granted for you to register.
2. If approval is granted, you will only be allowed to register to retake the course in the summer or register during the drop/add period of the fall or spring semester.
3. Students who can't pass a lower-division course after the third attempt will be encouraged to consider another major.
4. Chronic "repeaters" will not receive priority for seats in lower-division courses.
Because our majors are in high demand, students in our lower-division courses are encouraged to make their academic program a priority. It is important to successfully complete the lower-division required courses in a timely manner so that you can move forward into your chosen major.
Remember that the adjusted GPA requirement is 2.75 for the five COM lower-division classes. You also must make a 70 or higher (78 or higher after August 11, 2017) on the Entrance Exam (only three attempts allowed). After you have met these requirements of our gated program, fill out and send in the online application for a SOCM major.
Declaring your Major
Once you have completed all 5 Lower Division (SOCM) Area F courses with a 2.75 GPA or higher and passed the Entrance Exam with a score of 70% or higher (78 or higher after August 11, 2017), you must submit the Undergraduate Program Admission Application (see below) to be admitted into a SOCM major.
SOCM Undergraduate Entrance Exam
If you have completed COM 2135 – Writing for Public Communication, you are ready to take the SOCM Entrance Exam, an online grammar competency test, through the KSU Testing Center (on both campuses). http://testing.kennesaw.edu/students/tests-offered.php. (see Entrance Exam Information below)
COM 2135 SPRING DROP-IN SESSIONS
Mon. 1/22 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. SO 3020
Tues. 1/30 12:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. SO 4060
Wed. 2/7 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. SO 3020
Fri . 2/16 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. SO 3020
Mon. 2/19 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. SO 3020
Thurs. 3/1 12:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. SO 3020
Wed. 3/7 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. SO 3020
Fri. 3/16 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. SO 3020
Tues. 3/20 12:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. SO 3020
Mon. 3/26 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. SO 3020
Mon. 4/9 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. SO 3020
Fri. 4/13 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. SO 3020
Mon. 4/23 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. SO 3020
Fri. 4/27 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. SO 3020